Before we start, make sure the person being assessed is dressed in figure-hugging clothes. They will stand with their arms hanging along their sides, feet hip-width apart and eyes closed in order to maintain a natural posture. Hair should be pulled back and clear from the face and neck.
Front and back view
- the nose is aligned with the sternum
- the eyes are level with each other and the ears as well
- there is a difference in shoulder height
- the hands hang along the thighs at the same height
- one arm is farther from the hip than the other
- the waist is symmetrical
- the hips and knees are at the same height
- both sides of the spine are symmetrical (no bump or deviation)
- a hollow is visible on the arch of each foot
- the ear, shoulder, hip centre and ankle bone are vertically aligned
Note that asymmetrical shoe sole wear may indicate a postural deviation.